libkparts.so.4: cannot open shared object file

Simon St James simon at etotheipiplusone.com
Tue Dec 18 14:24:27 GMT 2007

Hi all,

On Tuesday 18 December 2007 14:06:37 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 December 2007 04:27:52 Simon St James wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm running into the above error during startup in KDE4Daily.  I was
> > assuming that it was an error on my part, but apparently a few people
> > have reported it, so I thought I'd try and give some info to help narrow
> > it down.
> >
> > It seems to have been introduced between r748956 and r749611, and
> > persists in 749843.  KDE4Daily has its install rooted at
> > /storage/tmp/kde4dev, and libkparts.so.4 is present in
> > /storage/tmp/kde4dev/kde/lib and has been binary equal across the listed
> > revisions.  ksmserver has been different in each revision, however.
> >
> > I've modified startkde to contain the following lines:
> >
> > echo "Vars:"
> > export
> > echo "End vars"
> > ldd /storage/tmp/kde4dev/kde/bin/ksmserver
> >
> > just before the line
> >
> > kwrapper4 ksmserver $KDEWM
> >
> > Attempting to start KDE4 via KDM gives the .xsession-errors listed here:
> >
> > http://etotheipiplusone.com/kde4daily/docs/.xsession-errors-fail
> >
> > Interestingly, I was able, on a couple of attempts, to manually start an
> > X-server and boot into KDE4 using a manual call to startkde.
> > Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to do that now [the X-server now
> > crashes with some libGL error] and didn't obtain a log :/
> >
> > When preparing a KDE4Daily update, I don't "make clean", but I do
> > completely wipe the kde & Qt install (i.e. I delete all contents
> > of /storage/tmp/kde4dev/) so there should be no stale libraries floating
> > around.
> >
> > I should be on IRC as "SSJ_GZ" if anyone wants any more info!
> >
> > Hope this helps to narrow things down for you.
>
> I encountered this bug yesterday as well.
> I spent the entire day rebuilding and attempting to debug, with no luck.
>
> Out of desperation I removed  my install dir and all build dirs.
> Basically, I started from scratch.
>
> I left the build to run while I slept.
> And this morning things work again.
>
> I'm sure startkde failed at the line
> kwrapper4 ksmserver $KDEWM
> with the cannot load libkparts.so.4 error
>

> But I did find out that logging in with a failsafe session
> and running kwin&;plasma& works pretty well.
>
> Good luck,
> Allen

Yep, dfaure and thiago pointed out that my libkde3support.so was compiled
without RPATH, so there were errors unless LD_LIBRARY_PATH was set during
startkde, which isn't the case on my setup when I use KDM as LD_LIBRARY_PATH
is set in .bashrc which is not sourced by KDM.  Running startkde from a plain
login shell is fine, though.

http://websvn.kde.org/?view=rev&revision=749796 fixes it, but apparently
requires everything to be wiped and re-built first, as winterz found.

Cheers,
Simon