Request to merge the newssl branch

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 16:05:48 GMT 2007

Am Freitag 14 Dezember 2007 16:49:13 schrieb David Faure:
> On Thursday 13 December 2007, Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
> > > Maybe there are volunteers to give the branch some more testing? Right
> > > now however the merge of this monday's changes into the branch is still
> > > pending so kdelibs from the branch may or may not work with the rest of
> > > your KDE4 install. There is a known bug in the SMTP(IIRC) ioslave that
> > > is a simple consequence of changing the return type of
> > > TCPSlaveBase::startTLS() to an enum with values different from the
> > >
> > > Comments please!
> >
> > The number of comments gives me some hint about why nobody else took care
> > of SSL. I should mention that I'm doing this on paid time by KDAB; it's
> > not like I like to read books about SSL in my free time :P
> > However, I am very interested in getting a KDE 4.0(.0) out of the door in
> > a condition that at least the lunatic fringe
> > http://www.sunsite.ualberta.ca/jargon/html/L/lunatic-fringe.html
> > can enjoy.
>
> I'm missing one important bit of information: is this patch source+binary
> compatible, assuming it affects any public API?
> If it's BIC (and if it has to be BIC), then there is no choice, it -has- to
> go in now...
>
> If we don't merge it now and the kdelibs-4.0 api forces us to keep broken
> ssl stuff (at the API level) forever, we'll regret it.

Damn, I have forgotten one thing: SSL with proxy is completely wrong in trunk.
It uses the moste hideous hacks (which it calls "SSL tunneling") which are
also incompatible with any sane way of handling it, modulo very ugly hacks.
There is a special mode where you connect the ioslave to the proxy instead of
to the actual remote host and then you give the address of the actual remote
host (the ioslave connects to it via proxy) and then start SSL. All this
special mode stuff needs special cases in TCPSlaveBase and the actual
protocol implementation on top of it, there is special metadata involved...
need I go on or do you feel a little sick already?
It also only works with HTTP - other protocols will just fail when trying to
use SSL and proxying at the same time.
This seems to force the decision.