kde3/kde4 co-installability again

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Dec 15 20:01:10 GMT 2007

On 15.12.07 20:24:08, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 08:18:40PM +0100, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > So some distributions rename Qt4 qmake, so Qt4 qmake can be "qmake" or
> > "qmake4" or "qmake-qt4".
> >
> just like automoc, qmake is for -devel packages. it's always been the
> way that it is impossible to co-install -devel packages from different
> versions. i have no idea why "some distributions" choose to have qmake
> packages with different versions not conflict, but they better have damn
> good reasons.

Easy answer: Working on Qt3 and Qt4 at the same time. You know yourself
the upgrade path isn't easy so its needed to be able to maintain a Qt3
version of your app for some time. And having to setup a second system
for this is just a PITA.

Yes, you could simply put the Qt4 into /usr/share/qt4 or some such, but
then its harder to access it. I find the solution to add a -qt4 suffix
very good.

Andreas

--
A visit to a fresh place will bring strange work.