Request to merge the newssl branch

David Faure faure at
Fri Dec 14 15:49:13 GMT 2007

On Thursday 13 December 2007, Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
> > Maybe there are volunteers to give the branch some more testing? Right now
> > however the merge of this monday's changes into the branch is still pending
> > so kdelibs from the branch may or may not work with the rest of your KDE4
> > install. There is a known bug in the SMTP(IIRC) ioslave that is a simple
> > consequence of changing the return type of TCPSlaveBase::startTLS() to an
> > enum with values different from the previous int. That will be easy to fix
> > one way or another.
> >
> > Comments please!
> >
> The number of comments gives me some hint about why nobody else took care of 
> SSL. I should mention that I'm doing this on paid time by KDAB; it's not like 
> I like to read books about SSL in my free time :P
> However, I am very interested in getting a KDE 4.0(.0) out of the door in a 
> condition that at least the lunatic fringe 
> can enjoy.

I'm missing one important bit of information: is this patch source+binary compatible,
assuming it affects any public API?
If it's BIC (and if it has to be BIC), then there is no choice, it -has- to go in now...

If we don't merge it now and the kdelibs-4.0 api forces us to keep broken ssl stuff (at the API level)
forever, we'll regret it.

David Faure, faure at, sponsored by Trolltech to work on KDE,
Konqueror (, and KOffice (

More information about the kde-core-devel mailing list