Closing all bugs?

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Dec 14 12:10:16 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 11 December 2007, Bram Schoenmakers wrote:
> Would this be a good idea to do?

Funny when we talk about closing KDE3 bugs when there are 55 bugs and
494 wishes entered in bugzilla prior to the release date of KDE 3.0. :)
There is one big problem in bugzilla, namely that it is hard to sort out
the bugs filed for KDE3. If we could tag them now - when there are not
so many KDE4 bugs yet -, that would make life easier for the developer.
 Than each and every developer could see his bugs, and mass-close the
KDE 3.0 ones if he wants. I oppose to blindly close all the bugs for
KDE3. Sure, it would be nice to start with 0 bugs in KDE4, but who can
say that we will not end at 10000 in a few years, just like it happened
before? If we have that tagging, we could have preset queries in
bugzilla for KDE3 and KDE4 bugs, maybe even show them separately in the
statistics, just to make our product look less bug free. :)

Of course there are bugs that should be closed, but unfortunately this
cannot be done correctly without reviewing them. In my opinion those
bugs should be closed that:
- don't have a valid backtrace
- has a comment that cannot reproduce
- the developer asked for more question (NEEDINFO tag would be nice),
but wasn't given any answer in X months (X can be something like 3-6).

Closing based on such criteria should be THAT time consuming. The
problematic are bugs that were never verified by any developer and as
such you have to test it.

Andras