Phonon backends to Windows, Mac and Unix

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Thu Dec 13 08:37:25 GMT 2007

Trolltech is pleased to announce that it is contributing backends for Phonon
for the three major platforms that it supports. The plugins are all licensed
LGPL v2.1 or 3 and have been just committed to the KDE Subversion repository.

See the news annoucements:
http://trolltech.com/company/newsroom/announcements/press.2007-12-11.2263733764
http://dot.kde.org/1197535003

The Unix backend is based on gstreamer 0.10 and requires the
gstreamer-plugins-base package to be installed as well. The Mac plugin is
based on QuickTime 7 and CoreAudio (now we have good reason to nitpick
on "QT" and "Qt"). Finally, the Windows backend is based on DirectShow 9 and
requires the DirectX SDK installed in order to build.

They will be maintained in the KDE's repository server by Trolltech
developers, who will be definitely available for discussion on future
developments and interact with the open source community. They'll be
developed as any other Open Source project, which means anyone interested is
invited to join and contribute.

They're in kdebase/runtime/phonon. We have also written the CMakeLists.txt
files for KDE builds, but we have not extensively tested them. Please modify
those where we failed to properly detect the system configuration.

We will also create a branch in Subversion that matches the latest version in
Qt. We will use that branch to do maintenance on patch-level releases of
Qt -- that is, no new features. We ask people not to commit there,
because doing so will not change the copy we have at Trolltech and will just
make our lives more difficult.

Instead, new development should happen in trunk and other branches. Our team
will pick up and merge bug fixes according to the Qt patch-level development
guidelines.

The developer contacts are:
	gstreamer	Jens Bache-Wiig <jbache at trolltech.com>
	qt7 		Richard Moe Gustavsen <richardmg at trolltech.com>
	ds9		Thierry Bastian <thierry.bastian at trolltech.com>

PS: when replying, don't reply to all.
--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech ASA - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway