Closing all bugs?

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 11 07:47:46 GMT 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 3:37 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 December 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > start triaging them a bit more aggressively.
>
> yep.
>
> i just don't see this happening with 23k/15k reports. it's too big a mountain
> to climb.
>
> then again, without a triage push starting at zero won't matter either.
>
> with a triage team starting at zero (with a library to fall back on, as i
> recommended earlier) would probably make a huge difference 2-3 years from
> hence.
>
> if i hadn't taken on so many things to date, i'd charge ahead with this. but i
> have, so i won't. i can only draw lines in the dust and hope someone will at
> this point move forward.
>
> but i would never expect success with the current mountain of neglect. let
> them take charge of a new field, not the errors of their forebears. is there
> anyone one who would lead?

I'm going to get involved with this discussion now, even though I
don't have a great deal of experience here. Hope you don't mind!

I've been putting what little time I have into the efforts of the
Bugsquad http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Bugsquad at triaging
ancient bugs. However, as has been pointed out, 23k reports is a
hopeless amount for people like me take on with a small amount of time
available!

Perhaps a good place to start, regardless of what this thread
concludes is to put together some more info about what to do with
triaging bugs. Perhaps I should start a thread about unmaintained apps
that are well and truly dead - like kmidi for example, since this can
be confusing for people like me who are relatively new to KDE and
don't realise that these apps have been dead for many years.

Another thing that I often don't realise is that the person bugs are
assigned to for some apps, e.g. arts, have stopped to contribute to
KDE since a long time ago.

I volunteer to put any of this information I can accumulate onto the
techbase for the benefit of other would-be triagers!