Closing all bugs?

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Dec 11 07:07:29 GMT 2007

On Monday 10 December 2007 23:15:28 Bram Schoenmakers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you may have read on my blog post [1] I suggest (after Tom's
> attempts) to close all bugs, not wishes, in KDE Bugzilla with KDE4
> approaching. This is because of all the old cruft (KDE3 based bug
> reports), which is unlikely to be cleaned up if we don't do it now.
>
> Besides our users I'd like to hear what our (core) developers think of
> this idea and how we should do this. That's why I ask here at k-c-d.
>
> Would this be a good idea to do?

The way you write this indicates to me that you are drowning in bugs and
have no way to maintain the flood...
I mean; you could do some work on inventorizing how many bugs come from
dedicated bug-filers (i.e. more then 10 bugs filed and not closed as
bogus) and exclude those people.
You can look which applications actually have a maintainer and make the
maintainer look into his bugs first (did you ask?).  I certainly would be
mighty upset if koffice / kword bugs were closed.

I would also be surprised if the amount of bugs that are now open and
should be closed is actually higher then the amount of bugs that are
still valid.
Taking a significant sample and reporting your result would go a long way
here.  From my experience in KWord (which actually got rewritten, not
only ported) its not significant enough. You'd be amazed how many times I
found a bug being present in a completely new codebase all again :)

Bottom line;
your proposal sounds like a very desperate attempt to attain a sort of
order that is most likely going to disappoint a lot of reporters, loose a
lot of valuable information and will not actually restore order in the
long run anyway.

A better strategy is to look at which apps have the higherst bugcount (and
are released in 4.0) and start triaging them a bit more aggressively. Low
hanging fruit and all that.
That is something you can do right now :)
--
Thomas Zander