kdelibs/mimetypes ignorant

Pino Toscano toscano.pino at tiscali.it
Mon Dec 10 09:18:22 GMT 2007

Alle lunedì 10 dicembre 2007, Rafael Fernández López ha scritto:
> As our time is going away for release, after using KDE4 for some time I
> have just realized that the file kdelibs/mimetypes/kde.xml that contains
> the mimetypes and their comments cannot be traduced AFAIK.

Yes about the "cannot be translated", no about the "contains the mimetypes".
kde.xml contains only the extra mimetypes kde provides and freedesktop.org
does not.

> That means that my whole system is in spanish, but when reading a mimetype,
> it is shown in english (for example, when sorting by type in Dolphin in the
> categorized view).

The most commonly used mimetypes will be translated, as they have translations
in the freedesktop.org mimetype file.

> Since we are in a translation-freeze I consider this situation a very
> important one, since part of our system (and a very used one) is or cannot
> be translated easily.

What is missing here is the possibility to translate our mimetypes using the
normal system used to translate applications and documentations.
(Though, injecting the translations directly in kde.xml should work.)

--
Pino Toscano