Showstoppers, was: Re: Fwd: Re: Release Mode

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Tue Dec 4 22:57:24 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 04 December 2007, Fredrik Höglund wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 December 2007 15:20, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 December 2007, Michael Pyne wrote:
> > > Well, playing oggs at least seems to work fine, although I had to do it
> > > from JuK, phononplay was silent for some reason.
> >
> > Would be nice if you can find out why phononplay didn't work. It really
> > should.
>
> I have a theory about that.  When the KDE plugin path differs from the
> Qt plugin path, Phonon doesn't work in pure Qt applications because
> it can't find its plugins.

Yes. I have QT_PLUGIN_PATH set to $KDEDIR/lib/kde4/plugins/

But phononplay uses KApplication and works without QT_PLUGIN_PATH being set.

> This doesn't affect KDE applications, because KApplication adds the KDE
> plugin paths by calling QCoreApplication::addLibraryPath().
>
> In Qt 3 it was possible to configure the plugin path in qtrc, which also
> worked for pure Qt applications, but the only way to configure it in
> Qt 4 it is to set an environment variable.  We do that in the startkde
> script, but unfortunately it doesn't work for applications that are
> started from Konsole or a terminal.

Good point. Distribitions need to either install Qt and KDE in the same prefix
or set QT_PLUGIN_PATH in .profile or .bashrc or .zshrc or whatever (I can
never remember which file is use when).

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de