Showstoppers, was: Re: Fwd: Re: Release Mode

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Dec 4 20:46:31 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 04 December 2007, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> John Tapsell wrote:
> >Fredrick,
> >  Can we install the phonon plugins in a standard path then?  It makes
> >sense for them to be installed outside of the kde subdirectory if they
> >are to be used for non-kde apps anyway.
>
> No.
>
> Install where the user told you to install: your prefix.
>
> If the user chose a different prefix -- one that Qt won't find by
> default -- it's his job to set the configuration files and environment
> variables properly.

Mostly true, but KDE install macros sometimes install into KDE specific
subdirectories of the prefix, e.g. share/apps/$appname instead of
the "standalone" share/$appname

So in the case of plugins it might not be possible yet for the user to specify
a different path for Qt plugins and one for KDE plugins, if the developer
uses the same CMAKE variable for both kind of plugins.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring