Release Schedule Changes

Sebastian Kuegler sebas at kde.org
Tue Dec 4 08:55:07 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 04 December 2007 05:48:05 John Tapsell wrote:
> Are we really stating that this is a release candidate?  That no more
> changes are planned and now we are asking users to find any bugs?
>
> Are we really that stable now?
>
> We caught a lot of flak over RC1.  I really do not want to see a
> repeat of that.  Are all the show stoppers now fixed?

Do you think we'll be getting less flak if we now go back to beta? You know,
we're getting this flak *anyway*. People like to criticise, they like to
state what things are wrong, they like to doubt. With a
high-expectations-release like KDE 4.0, I think that's quite normal. The
stakes are high, let's just not stress out.

I think going back to beta would be a serious mistake, for the community
itself (sure way to get everyone out of release mode) and for the media. We
do have the the situation under control. (Famous last words ;-))

We've released -rc1 because most things worked flawlessly. Yes, there are
showstoppers, but if we don't move on, we don't communicate that we're really
getting close to the release. And that means tinkering on. We really need to
get 4.0 out the door. And we will be able to fix the remaining showstoppers.

Kudos to Matthias for getting one of them down, by the way!
--
sebas