Source licenses and KAboutData.

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Sun Dec 2 00:10:43 GMT 2007

There's been a lot of discussion about relicensing KDE 4, but we have yet to
update KAboutData for that.

Are we going to include the licenses for GPLv3 and LGPLv3 in kdelibs/licenses?
I think we should, especially as a lot of KDE is going to use this.  I can do
this unless there's objections.

In addition, we need to add LGPLv3 and GPLv3 to the LicenseKey enum.  That's
easy enough for me to do, but right now we also have GPLv2 and just plain
GPL, which is currently set to equal GPLv2.  What would plain GPL mean with
KDE 4?  GPLv2, GPLv3, or neither (i.e. GPLv2+)?  The same concerns apply to
LGPL.

Also, should we have separate license keys for GPLv2 and GPLv2_OrHigher (same
for LGPLv2,3 and GPLv3).  We could also, for software with the (or higher)
provision simply use whatever the latest GPL is at the time, but then we'd
need to update it if a new GPL were to be issued.

I'd like for this to be resolved before 4.0 obviously, especially if we
release most of KDE as GPLv3.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne