clarification on git, central repositories and commit access lists

Gavin Beatty gavinbeatty at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 17:41:30 BST 2007

On 30/08/2007, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 30 August 2007 00:56:14 Gavin Beatty wrote:
[snip]
> > The link was added about an hour ago. I'm hoping that there is an
> > initial delay in the posts propagating for a new list as 2 posts so
> > far have not propagated.
>
> Please remove it.
>
> It's a temporary list and only for those who are really interested in making
> it happen. That is, people who have already voiced their opinions on the
> buildsystem and are willing to get their hands dirty.

I don't have karma enough either. I simply requested on kde-www that a
link be put up. Adriaan was just kindly doing what I asked.

On 30/08/2007, Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 30 August 2007 10:48, Josef Spillner wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 August 2007 09:41:24 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > It's a temporary list and only for those who are really interested in
> > > making it happen. That is, people who have already voiced their opinions
> > > on the buildsystem and are willing to get their hands dirty.
>
> Thiago's message makes me want to reply to all website change requests in
> provide 3 GPG-signed statements from KDE e.V. members confirming that you
> want this. <continue> <cancel>"; the people on the receiving end of website
> requests like "please add this mailing list" have *no* way of guessing the
> intentions or the consensus reached elsewhere. It's an annoying way to work.

Like I said, I simply requested a link because I looked for one and
did not find :P

There was no consensus because I asked straight away for a link. To my
mind there was no need for a consensus. I can only think of two
arguments against there being a link:

 1. The list is too "sensitive" and will fracture our community image.
       - I disagree.
 2. It will now get flamed by SCM fan-boys and those who really don't
    know what they're talking about and signal:noise will be
    unacceptable.
       - This is what list moderators/admins are for.

                                                            -- Gavin

--
www.mathsoc.com