applications now require kdebase/runtime to run

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Aug 22 22:11:41 BST 2007

Alexander Dymo wrote:
> I've noticed that applications (kdevelop for example) can no longer
> run without kdebase/runtime installed because of missing oxygen icon
> theme. This means that kdelibs is no longer enough to run the
> application like before. I don't know whether that's good or bad, but
> does anyone know the rationale behind current situation?

This is not a complete, definitive answer (since I was not involved in
the decision), but:

- This has been the case for some time
- This in theory allows quicker KDE hacking, since you can build apps
from only kdelibs and are not forced to build kdebase/runtime when you
don't need it to build.

Basically, kdelibs in 4.0 is for *compile-time* dependencies only, and
run-time dependencies should be in kdebase/runtime.

--
Matthew
Microsoft: Expect the unexpected