config option for KDirWatch method

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Aug 21 16:04:29 BST 2007

On 21.08.07 17:00:09, Flavio Castelli wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 August 2007 16:47:31 Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > Why would you want to do that with strigi? Remember that inotify pin`s the
> > inode in memory, so if you watch all the directories on your system then
> > that means that you pin all those inodes into memory, which is a big
> > ressource overhead (8192 inodes use over 2 MB of memory already). There is
> > no point in strigi watching everything.
> We watch recursively all indexed directories. In this way Strigi's index will
> be up-to-date and user searches will be consistent (we won't return deleted
> or no more valid contents nor we will omit a valid one).

I hope you plan to make this optional or make it possible to disable
strigi indexing completely. This is a horrible idea on anything but a
pretty empty home directory.

For example I've got all kde development stuff in my home, so there are
ton's of .svn subdirs all over the place. There are web pages for my
homepage with quite some deeper hierarchies.

Sorry, but I don't see any way this can work with any of the existing
notification systems on linux.

Andreas

--
Write yourself a threatening letter and pen a defiant reply.