config option for KDirWatch method

Flavio Castelli micron at bglug.it
Tue Aug 21 15:49:41 BST 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 16:02:54 Josef Spillner wrote:
> The inotify options are all bitmasks so adding IN_RECURSIVE can't harm, can
> it? It will not drain more resources from the kernel. It could run against
> implementation limits such as inode-based monitoring in inotify, but I've
> never read that particular chapter in the kernel.
It won't work. Some times ago I talked with Robert Love (author of inotify)
about this limitation. Actually there's no solution for this problem.

Sometimes ago a developer called Yi Yang proposed a new file system monitoring
interface for the kernel called "filesystem event reporter". This new goody
should work better than inotify. Unfortunately it has never been accepted
into the main kernel tree (as far as I know).

You can find some more informations searching "Filesystem Events Reporter" on
google.

cheers
	Flavio

--
|§ micron<- ICQ #118796665
|§ GPG Key:
|§  ~ Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
|§  ~ KeyID: 6D632BED

~ "Progress is merely a realisation of utopias" ~