config option for KDirWatch method

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Tue Aug 21 15:02:54 BST 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 15:16:02 Flavio Castelli wrote:
> When you "add" a watch over a directory you'll be notified of all changes
> happening inside of it. But you _won't_ be notified when something happens
> inside one of its subfolders.  So, if you want to be reported of _all_ the
> changes happening in a directory, you have to add a watch to the parent
> directory and (recursively) to all its subfolders.

The inotify options are all bitmasks so adding IN_RECURSIVE can't harm, can
it? It will not drain more resources from the kernel. It could run against
implementation limits such as inode-based monitoring in inotify, but I've
never read that particular chapter in the kernel.

I've attached a simple test utility for inotify, ripped from some server
source code so it's not particularly cleaned up.
It would be truely awesome if we could gain recursive monitoring from inotify
without having to recurse ourselves. The event handler could return the
filename as "dir/subdir/file" which would work perfectly well with most
applications.

Josef