clarification on git, central repositories and commit access lists

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Aug 20 10:46:43 BST 2007

On Monday 20 August 2007 09:50:44 Thomas Zander wrote:
> When I type svn update in koffice I can easily end up with a non compiling
> version due to kdelibs having some changes because svn doesn't have
> atomic commits.  It doesn't auto-update the same thing in kdelibs.
> This means that the problem you are seeing is a problem we deal with every
> (mon)day. Its not new and its never been solved before.

Yes, it does (except for externals). If you type "svn up" in trunk/KDE, it
updates all of KDE to the same revision.

Doing so in trunk/ would update all of KDE, extragear, koffice, kdesupport,
kdereview and playground to the same thing. The problem is that it would also
update bugzilla, www, l10n and other stuff nobody likes to check out.

To counter that problem, what I do (used to do) is simple:
	svn up in kdesupport
	take note of the revision it updated to
	svn up -r to that revision everywhere else

In general, I also preferred a easy-to-remember revision number. My last KDE 3
build was 665666.

That counts as atomic commits to me. But that's *still* not what I want. I
want to have atomic changesets. That is, I don't want to have one big commit
saying "updating API XYZ and adapting to it throughout". I want to send one
changeset containing the API changes (possibly more than one commit), plus
the adaptations. That way, if something breaks in the future, you won't go
back to find one humongous diff that says "new API".

Git provides that "atomic changeset" behaviour, but not across modules. Not
even across submodules, so I'm beginning to thing an eventual KDE Git server
would still have one big tree. We'll need Git to support partial-tree
checkouts.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358