Which styles to keep?

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Thu Aug 16 22:10:25 BST 2007

On Thursday 16 August 2007, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> more options are going to see. All those "average user" arguments are
> irrelevant, since that kind of users is not very likely to ever see that
> dialog, let alone try to switch the styles.

Fair enough.

> - it doesn't take a great actor to recognize a bad one - I may not be able
> to design a single thing that'd look good and I definitely don't insist
> that I have any big decisive say on artwork, but I can still see that e.g.
> Oxygen in its current form (ok, ok, which is going to change according to
> this thread, but anyway) has pretty bad usability with its poorly visible
> widgets

That I agree with. Just don't let a coder fix the usability problems,
though :-).

> - I'd also doubt that just the ability to paint icons (or who's
> going to be the non-developers - doc writers, translators?) is an automatic
> guarantee that the person is good to judge usability or even aesthetics.

Of course not. There's more to UI design that just painting skills. What
generally bothers me is the state of mind along the lines of "I contributed
code, I have my say in how KDE should look so I demand to have
vintage-CDE-style to be packaged in".

--
Guillaume.
http://telegraph-road.org