Which styles to keep?

pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Tue Aug 14 20:46:29 BST 2007

A Tuesday 14 August 2007 12:10:30, Lubos Lunak escreveu:
> On Monday 13 of August 2007, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > I personally would like to support fredrik's and nuno's opinion.
> >
> > It makes no sense to discuss whether the styles and themes that were once
> > designed for KDE3 could be technically ported to KDE 4. Keeping the look
> > and feel of KDE3 styles makes as much sense from the point of view of an
> > artist as keeping qt3-support classes in KDE4's release code.
> >
> > For artists who have put as much energy into KDE4's look and feel as the
> > Oxygen Team I can already imagine the pain and embarrasment they would
> > feel if they had to look at screenshots that combine Oxygen Art with some
> > really outdated looking style theme.
>
>  Ok, and roughly how much paint would artists feel looking at something
> like http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/download/desktop.png ?
bbbbbbfffffff is that the image you want to give of kde???
image is very important couse in todays world people will only give you 5
seconds of atention if you only have 5 seconds you beter show them a very
good sexy image so they give you an extra 5 seconds of atentin so you can
explain how that sexy thing will kick his ass.
that screenie makes me think "haaaaaaaa havent seen that since my hummmm....
what was the name of that computer i hadd..... haaa it was an 286....DX2 66
Mhz.... o well moving alongm, look a iphone humm those look sweet"
> Warning for the weak
> of the heart: KDE2 "default" window decoration, highcolor/B3 style and
> highcolor icon theme, it's been that way since KDE2.0. Keramik was too big
> and heavy on the eyes with the flashy gradients, Plastik's controls were
> not distinct enough with the thin outlines and Crystal was way too
> colorful. But, most of all, I've been simply used to that and I'm an
> engineer, not an artist, so I don't automatically consider old == outdated.
> It works for me and doesn't get in the way.
well all of that is nice but look at the competition, and what the comon user
thinks, aparently looks is important iphone does not give you anything
terrably new but it looks sexy and everybody wants one, so the competition
has to adapt to it.
So if our competition is looking more sexy so should we, and shiping a good
set of styles is part of that, the screenshot you just shown is like the best
way to make us dead to the eyes of the comon uzer, If it works for you great
im sure we can make a way for you to get it like that.
But the comon uzer should not see loads of those kinda styles, one maybe we
can get of with, but several...??? its just make us look like unprefessional
geeks.
Kde always had some inovation in this area we were the frist to ship 128x128
px icons, the crystal set inspired many of the curent sets you see around  in
major desktops, and is still extremly popular among users.

> > In my opinion except for the accessibility and maybe plastik style all of
> > the previous styles should get removed and we should have a new fresh
> > start with hopefully a lot of new modern looking styles that match the
> > artwork quality of the rest of the KDE4 artwork.
> > Don't get me wrong: I'm not opposed to diversity but the quality of the
> > choice among options should at least match todays standards.
>
>  Sorry, but that's taking it too far. You're basically suggesting to drop
> all styles used by now, and just because they're not "modern" (which, as
> far as I can tell, probably means "flashy" - I can't imagine using Oxygen
> style for a whole day without suffering in the end, but maybe that's just
> my eyes being too sensitive). Ok, you want to impress people, fine with me,
> I can see there are enough people who want this, but I don't need
> impressing, I need to get work done.

by the looks of your screenshot you are not your average user most people cant
mentaly andle that much information in just one screen, so your nocion of
sencitive eyes maybe a bit personal, i resent that you say that oxygen is
flashy and hurts the eyes, the current one in the code may have some things
that need fixing specily the pallete that is not done yet.

--

core oxygen icon designer