Which styles to keep?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Aug 14 12:10:30 BST 2007

On Monday 13 of August 2007, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> I personally would like to support fredrik's and nuno's opinion.
>
> It makes no sense to discuss whether the styles and themes that were once
> designed for KDE3 could be technically ported to KDE 4. Keeping the look
> and feel of KDE3 styles makes as much sense from the point of view of an
> artist as keeping qt3-support classes in KDE4's release code.
>
> For artists who have put as much energy into KDE4's look and feel as the
> Oxygen Team I can already imagine the pain and embarrasment they would feel
> if they had to look at screenshots that combine Oxygen Art with some really
> outdated looking style theme.

 Ok, and roughly how much paint would artists feel looking at something like
http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/download/desktop.png ? Warning for the weak of the
heart: KDE2 "default" window decoration, highcolor/B3 style and highcolor
icon theme, it's been that way since KDE2.0. Keramik was too big and heavy on
the eyes with the flashy gradients, Plastik's controls were not distinct
enough with the thin outlines and Crystal was way too colorful. But, most of
all, I've been simply used to that and I'm an engineer, not an artist, so I
don't automatically consider old == outdated. It works for me and doesn't get
in the way.

> In my opinion except for the accessibility and maybe plastik style all of
> the previous styles should get removed and we should have a new fresh start
> with hopefully a lot of new modern looking styles that match the artwork
> quality of the rest of the KDE4 artwork.
> Don't get me wrong: I'm not opposed to diversity but the quality of the
> choice among options should at least match todays standards.

 Sorry, but that's taking it too far. You're basically suggesting to drop all
styles used by now, and just because they're not "modern" (which, as far as I
can tell, probably means "flashy" - I can't imagine using Oxygen style for a
whole day without suffering in the end, but maybe that's just my eyes being
too sensitive). Ok, you want to impress people, fine with me, I can see there
are enough people who want this, but I don't need impressing, I need to get
work done.

 Keeping the look and feel of KDE3 styles does make sense, so this is about
whether the styles can be technically ported to KDE4 and whether there is
interest.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz