Which styles to keep?

Mosfet daniel.duley at verizon.net
Mon Aug 13 21:00:38 BST 2007

Hehe, well in my defense although some of you might not believe it but a lot
of those old styles were pretty cool when first developed. Color matching
gradients and stuff like that were considered really nifty until MacOSX came
out ;-)

Nonetheless that was a long time ago and people have been saying pretty much
what I wanted to hear. I don't like the old stuff anymore, either. I just
wanted to make sure people agreed with me so I can figure out what needed
porting.

<rambling>

A little off-topic history: Well back before KDE2.0 I was toying with the idea
of having pixmaps and gradients that matched the user's color scheme, which
at the time was a pretty new idea. Pixmap based themes were around, but
nothing that matched the color scheme. I came up with some horizontal and
vertical gradient code then talked to Brad Hughes, who was working on this
new window manager called "BlackBox". It had some cool diagonal gradient
code. The result was the KDE2.0 default style.

I thought this was pretty neat until MacOSX came out. Then everyone cr*pped
their pants, (excuse the language, but it's true ;-). I rushed to try to
emulate this and came up with the original "Liquid" style. This is also when
I developed all those translucent hacks you see in KDE.

Now with a alphablending, antialiased painter Qt can be used to do some really
cool stuff, not to mention the new X server stuff like composite, but I no
longer develop new styles ;-)

</rambling>