kdefx/blitz options

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 13 20:28:38 BST 2007

David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 13 August 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> 3. remove from kdelibs (move to kdesupport)
>>    + allows full removal later (e.g. 4.1), BC
>>  [...]
>> 4. remove from kdelibs, offer blitz in kdesupport
>>    + blitz can be removed later (e.g. 4.1), BC
>> [...]
> I don't agree that we can remove a kdelibs dependency and claim that to be BC.
> It will break for any app that was using kdefx (option 3) or blitz (option 4) directly,
> and wasn't explicitely linking to it (but getting it via kdeui instead).

True, but (thanks to people on IRC setting me straight) I see now how I
failed to express myself correctly.

The difference between 1/2 and 3/4 is that 3/4 say "kdelibs does not
link to kdefx/blitz". So I should have written "remove -->use of<--
kdefx from kdelibs" (and either use pure Qt, or copy code (until 4.1) if
there is absolutely no other option). Sorry for the confusion! :-)

The "BC" part means that "KDE 4.1" and later will not depend on
kdefx/blitz (obviously KDE 4.0 apps may still require it, but that is
for packagers to deal with).

--
Matthew
People say I'm going insane. I say, "what do you mean, 'going'?".