kdefx/blitz options

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Aug 13 19:46:05 BST 2007

On Monday 13 August 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> 3. remove from kdelibs (move to kdesupport)
>    + allows full removal later (e.g. 4.1), BC
>  [...]
> 4. remove from kdelibs, offer blitz in kdesupport
>    + blitz can be removed later (e.g. 4.1), BC
> [...]
I don't agree that we can remove a kdelibs dependency and claim that to be BC.
It will break for any app that was using kdefx (option 3) or blitz (option 4) directly,
and wasn't explicitely linking to it (but getting it via kdeui instead).
Thiago will say "such apps shouldn't be doing that", but they will "because it works"
(on ELF systems at least), so the change will break those apps.

Let's just get this right once and for all.

If the porting away from kdefx (to blitz and to pure Qt depending on the cases) is doable,
then it seems to be the best solution, from what has been said here, no?