AW: installing libs on Windows

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 13 19:22:03 BST 2007

Nhuh Put wrote:
> Hello
> The real problem with dlls in lib/ isn't imho the need to adust the PATH
> variable, it's rather something like sticking to the standards. Mingw,
> cygwin, gtk, gimp, qt and every other open source program I checked puts the
> dlls in bin/.

Forget "open source", this is the standard, period. Sun (Java) does it.
Oracle does it. *Microsoft* does it (although in typical Microsoft
fashion, I do have about 3 .dll's in a lib/ directory, although I have
many more in various bin/ directories). If you extend the definition of
"bin" to be "the folder containing the .exe's", I could add dozens, if
not hundreds, of examples to the list.

--
Matthew
People say I'm going insane. I say, "what do you mean, 'going'?".