auto-hide feature in KTextEdit does not shown the mouse pointer again on mouse moves

Nico Kruber Nico.Laus.2001 at gmx.de
Mon Aug 6 20:50:05 BST 2007

I noticed that once the mouse pointer is hidden within a KTextEdit it is not
shown again by moving the mouse alone as it was described and should probably
work.
I tried to look into this and figured that mouse events in a QTextEdit are
handled by its viewport and send to the specific QTextEdit::mouseMoveEvent()
etc. methods but not processed any further so installing an event filter on
the KTextEdit does not get the mouse events. Installing it on its viewport
does not help either because this one does not get key events so the cursor
is not hidden by them.
I tried reimplementing the viewportEvent() method and call
KCursor::autoHideEventFilter() manually from there but this method always
complained about that an event filter was not applied yet ( there probably is
already an event before the "KCursor::setAutoHideCursor( this, true,
false );" in the constructors ).

My final fix was to install an event filter on the viewport and call it from
there. I put the eventfilter() method into the KTextEdit class - probably not
the right way you want it to be, but I don't know where else without creating
a new class which kinda seems unnecessary for one method.

I hope this helps resolving this issue - there might be more classes which
need that modification in order to get the auto-hide function working - and I
also hope I got the right mailing list.

--
Nico Kruber