[draft] Policy: resource files (was: kdelibs 3/4 conflicts, plan)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Aug 5 09:23:46 BST 2007

On Saturday 04 August 2007, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> I didn't say so, but this is a Request For Comments.

personally, i'd prefer s,Highlander,Unique,g just because it's a bit more
obvious and doesn't rely on a cultural reference =)

besides that, i'm not sure it's good that there are "or"s in there, e.g.:

    config file:        config/katepartrc       [shared configurations]
                        config/katepart4rc  or  [specific configurations]
                        config/kde4/katepartrc
    part-specific dir:  share/apps/katepart4  or
                        share/apps/kde4/katepart

imho, we should specify which is The Way to do it, otherwise we'll get some
apps going one direction and other apps another, or if everyone does do it
the same way then the spec won't actually accurately reflect reality (just
possibility).

personally, i like the config/kde4/ and share/apps/kde4 approach as it follows
what we've already done elsewhere (e.g. services/kde4) and makes it pretty
clear where things go.

the difference between shared and specific configurations: is it reasonable to
expect this to work reliably? it would require app developers ensuring a
level of compatibility between $TRUNK_VERSION and $OLD_STABLE_VERSION in the
shared config, which i'm not sure is realistic.

what are the use cases for shared config between a kde3 and a kde4 app? and
would this require kde4 apps to then carry around 2 KConfig objects,
remembering which to read from?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se