Making kdefx static

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Aug 4 21:14:15 BST 2007

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Forget "static".
>>
>> You can't link a static library to a dynamic library.
>
>Well obviously we need to fix that :-).

You can't fix that because it's a requirement on the linker.

Some linkers support linking static libraries into final libraries, some
don't.

Hmm... wait... this is not the --whole-archive option. That would be a
*convenience* library, which is not supported.

Maybe linking a static would work. I am not sure now. In any case, I don't
believe it's worth the effort of trying out all platforms we use. Just
add the necessary .o into the library you need to use them in.

>But the impression I got is that
>more apps use it than libraries (or at least, I have some idea of what
>the lib users are and know they can - and should - be fixed). However...

Applications cannot use it.

>> Leave it a normal, dynamic, shared library. Just don't install the
>> headers and remove its finding from the KDE cmake macros.
>
>...that doesn't work at all because apps use it, and therefore we
>*cannot* remove the headers (take a look at lxr to get an idea of the
>work required). So unless I am missing something, the choice is 'static'
>(fixing lib users, as above) or 'stuck with it until KDE5'.

Applications cannot use it.

If you install the headers, you're stuck with the headers until KDE 5.

Alternatively, split it out of kdelibs, move it to kdesupport. That would
make it an "external" dependency. Then applications could opt to use it
or not use it, depending on how they evolve.

Someone would have to release it as a tarball package sometime before KDE
4.0.0.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358