kdelibs 3/4 conflicts, plan

Dominik Haumann dhdev at gmx.de
Fri Aug 3 18:16:19 BST 2007

On Friday 03 August 2007, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Appended is a snippet from a conversation this morning on #kde4-devel
> ... thiago asked me to post it for wider consumption.
>
> Of particular interest to kde-packagers is stuff before
> ===
> after, kde-core-devel folks. :)  Enjoy.
>
> -- Rex
>

> [08:01] <rdieter> still seeing lots of kdelibs(3)/kdelibs(4) parallel
> install conflicts:
> http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter1/kde/kdelibs-3.5.7_3.92.0-conflicts.txt
>   suggestions?
> [08:02] <rdieter> (icons mostly, from the look of it)
> [08:08] <thiago> rdieter: the first 5 are developer tools and shouldn't
> be in kdelibs, but kdelibs-devel
> [08:08] <rdieter> thiago: thanks! that's 5 down... :)
> [08:08] <thiago> rdieter: the kate ones... technically you can't have
> two applications called "kate" installed
> [08:08] <thiago> but that's libkate actually, not kate itself
> [08:09] <thiago> the syntax highlighting files I'd place in a .noarch
> file that would be common to *both* kates
> [08:09] <thiago> provided the syntax of the files didn't change. Ask the
> Kate guys.

They slightly changed. Kate checks the attribute "kateversion" in the xml
files and ignores the ones it cannot handle.
The syntax hl files are in $KDEDIRS/share/apps/katepart/syntax. There is
also config data in $KDEDIRS/share/apps/katepart (katepartui.rc) which is
incompatible. It's probably better to separate it, especially in the long
run.

(CCing kwrite-devel)

Dominik