kprocess, kpty & kdesu

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Mon Apr 30 23:35:24 BST 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 11:27:33PM +0200, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 30.04.07 22:02:43, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > some more or less chaotic facts & thoughts:
> >
> >   - cover up qt's omissions, at least on unix. particularly, the
> >     possibility to manage only stdout and leave stderr alone (that is,
> >     in .xsession-errors for most times).
>
> Does this mean that I'd have to capture stdout and stderr on windows,
> even if I only need stdout?

yes. none or both. you could find that yourself by looking into the
apidoc. ;)
unix has virtual void setupChildProcess(), so we can fix this "minor"
problem.
unless windows has something like /dev/fd/* that works better than
linux' one (i.e., actually clones file descriptors instead of creating
new ones) there is no chance to work around it.

> > - kpty is unix-only. as it stands now,
>
> Thats too bad, you know having konsole on windows with an embedded bash
> would really rock ;) But I do understand that nobody has the time or
> interest to find a way to make this possible..

i'm not sure it would be possible to convince the windows console layer
to use konsole. and it would be really weird to have a terminal that is
unable to run windows applications ...
emulating ptys with some intercepted library calls on top of pipes (or
whatever cygwin does) sure isn't rocket science, but its not even half
the rent.