[A little OT] Oxygen icons survey

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 24 00:21:06 BST 2007

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 23 April 2007, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
>> 'undo' / 'redo' ones aren't very convenient either. Call me an OS/X
>> junkie, but I think Apple's principle of leaving undo/redo in the
>> Edit menu is a good thing. This is really the kind of action for
>
> regardless of where they are (and yes, i don't think they need to be in the
> toolbar either) they still need icons, both because of being in menus but
> also because these semantics may be used elsewhere by certain applications in
> contextually appropriate ways that beg for icons as well.

If they aren't in the toolbar, I have to open the menu to see when I
have run out of undo/redo steps. That's not very helpful. :-)

(I actually use the buttons often... of course I use the shortcuts as
well, but...)

Being able to leave comments would have been nice, for instance in the
'lock/logoff/poweroff' icon trio, only the 'poweroff' one was remotely
intuitive IMO, for the others I felt like I was really grasping at
straws for which one to pick. The file type icons were also pretty
un-helpful.

--
Matthew