[Bulk] Re: RFC: KRecentFilesAction: hide urls

Johnathan Burchill jkerrb at rogers.com
Thu Apr 12 13:38:38 BST 2007

On Thursday 12 April 2007 6:52 am, you wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 April 2007 20:15, Johnathan Burchill wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The KRecentFilesAction shows the full url path in square brackets behind
> > the short name? I'd like to hide that url and just show the short name.
> > If the same shortname is associated with more than one url, the short
> > name would be appended with a unique identifier, like (2), (3), etc.
> >
> > The API doesn't appear to do this.  Please see the following patch. It
> > defaults to the current behaviour. Comments?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > JB
>
> I'm against hiding the url information. Although it may be application
> dependend. In kate/kwrite at least it is bad, because the numbering is
> arbitrary you can't tell eg what Makefile, Makefile(1),
> Makefile(2),Makefile(3) .... are, so the recent file acation would be quite
> unusable for me.

If we're not going to have the option of hiding the url information, then what
is the point of having the short name?

IMHO it is application-dependent. In KDar the archives usually have unique
names with dates automatically written into the filename. Long pathnames can
be harder to scan than just the list of short names. Particularly true when
all of the files are in the same "backup" directory. I'm just saying we
should have the option to disable the url, not make it the default.

We could dispense with the (N) after the name, and add the url information to
a tooltip. Or we could add the full url in cases where the short names are
the same.