Drop KAssistantDialog in favor of QDialog

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Tue Apr 10 17:25:19 BST 2007

Le mardi 10 avril 2007, Daniel Molkentin a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> with the introduction of Qt 4, Trolltech decided to drop the old QWizard
> class [1], which was used to write wizards *) That's why some KDE
> developers came up with KWizard, which was renamed to KAssistantDialog [2]
> for naming consistancy with other KDE Dialogs.
>
> In Qt 4.3, which KDE now depends on, QWizard was reintroduced [3], albeit
> in a totally rewritten form. It now honors the individual style for WIzards
> on all supported operating systems (and falls back to old Windows style for
> Plastique).
>
> The functionality seems to be at least equal, although the new QDialog
> class seems to provide even more features, like a proper abstraction of
> each page via QWizardPage.
>
> KAssistantDialog is currently used in Kross, Kopete, KMail and KDevelop
> (each time only once). I'd volunteer to port them if the maintainers don't
> port it themselves and remove the KAssistantDialog class by next monday.
> Any objections?

Yes, the main role KAssistantDialog was to replace the lack in Qt,  now that
there is QWizard in Qt, there is no more reason to have KAssistantDialog.

Anyway, the creation of KAssistantDialog has made discussions.

First, we decided to forget the name "Wizard" in KDE in favor of "Assistant".
If the API still use the word "Wizard" it's certain that programmer will
continue to use that in the UI
(Maybe doing a crazy check for that is the solution)

Second, one of the project of KAssistantDialog was to use the power of
KPageDialog to display a step list on the left (like in [1]). This has not
been implemented yet anyway.  But this is a cool concept.

Others ideas have been placed here:
 http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=kdelibs4+TODO%2FKAssistant for others

But since none of theses idea have been implemented yet, i don't know if that
count.

Probably what we could do is dropping KAssistantDialog now, and putting it
back later (KDE 4.1 ?) when it will have all the features.  But i fear that
if we do that, QWizard will never be replaced in all our applications.

[1] http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/2.0/images/mail_merge.jpg