Color, Icon and Font Settings in KDE4

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 9 19:10:22 BST 2007

Gunnar Schmi Dt wrote:
> On Dienstag, 03. April 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> For cases where a special background color is wanted, we can do two
>> things; invert the foreground and background (this means only one text
>> color may be used), or use blending to maintain legibility while
>> creating new colors. [...]
>
> Swapping (or inverting as you call it) foreground and background colors
> does not work for accessibility reasons. There are people who can only
> read light text on a dark background. Even larger bright areas can dazzle
> them.

Right, I knew even when I wrote that it wasn't the best idea, but it's
what e.g. Firefox currently does so I mentioned it for completion. IMO
blending is a better way to go.

> Using a blending algorithm for generating additional background colors
> sounds better, but I need to give some thoughts to whether it is a safe
> solution (or whether there may be problems, too, in certain very special
> situations).

...and I *still* have not heard anyone comment on if one even exists at
the kdelibs level (i.e. in kdelibs or in Qt). Anyone? Please?

> As to my understanding kde-core-devel is more suited for the technical
> aspect of the topic I would like to move the discussion about which color
> roles are exactly needed to the mailing list of the HCI workgroup
> (kde-hci at kde.org).

Ok, but k-c-d will eventually (I hope!*) need to know the outcome. I
can't find kde-hci on kde.org/mailinglists and it isn't on gmane... so
how would I go read it?

(* the "hope" is that this is actually implemented, as opposed to
falling through the cracks)

--
Matthew
If you believe you received this e-mail in error, you are probably sadly