ThreadWeaver and asyncronous tasks

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Apr 5 05:39:14 BST 2007

On Monday 02 April 2007, Mirko Boehm wrote:
> I would be fine with adding it as a static lib, so that binary compatbility
> is not required for it.

yes, for now a static lib sounds best until it's proven a bit more. that
said....

.... WeaverThreadGrid needs a dptr and all the protected data members can then
move to it. that's  a 5 minute job. at that point, i can't see much off with
the API to be honest. it's pretty simple/basic.

any reason why it subclasses QFrame as opposed to just QWidget (leaving the
frame up to the consumer)?

something that does sort of concern me is that it's another lib against which
to link. how many more UI classes are you thinking of adding? i lean towards
suggesting that the widgets should go into kdeui, actually, assuming that
this is meant for common consumption.

would it be sensible to have a "kdeui staging lib" that is installed as a
static lib? it could include the couple of classes rafael has been working
on, this one for threadweaver, sebastian's KHistoryDoubleNumInput, tom
alber's KTreeWidget .... this way multiple apps could get at the classes but
they wouldn't need the BC and API commitments usually associated with being
in kdeui. we could wrap them in a namespace (KdeUiBeta? =) so that as the
classes migrate to libkdeui we don't end up with problems? apps could do:

using namespace KdeUiBeta;

void FooClass::FooClass( QWidget* parent )
    : QWidget( parent )
{
     WeaverThreadGrid wtg;
}

when it is in the static lib, it builds properly. when it moves to libkdeui,
and loses its namespace, it still builds properly. eventually the code in the
app can lose the "using namespace KdeUiBeta" line.

how far out to lunch am i here? (i've been up since 05:30 and it's now 22:38,
so delusion may be setting in ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se