Color, Icon and Font Settings in KDE4

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 4 17:04:03 BST 2007

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 April 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> I think we have these background roles:
>>
>> Workspace (currently known as "standard")
>
> i'd rather not overload the term "workspace" further (we're using it on the
> desktop now to refer to desktop/panels/windowmanager/etc), but something
> better than "standard" would be nice indeed.

I have no opinion on the actual name, I just used "workspace" because it
felt most right (and because "window" already means something else).
Maybe "view" would be better, since it is the role used for edit boxes,
list boxes, etc.? But like I said, I don't care what it's called, I just
had to type something to identify it. :-)

>> Selected
>> Window
>> Button
>> Tooltip
>>
>> Focused Workspace
>> Focuses Selected(?)
>> Focused Window
>> Focused Button
>>
>> ..so each of those needs potentially its own set of foreground colors
>> for each defined foreground role. We can probably simplify things by
>> saying that there is only one effective "focused" background set (i.e.
>> all "focused" backgrounds must work against the "focused" foreground
>> color set), or that each set must work against both the "focused" and
>> "normal" background colors.
>
> i think the latter makes the most sense since that allows each set to be
> defined independently while keeping just one set of foreground colours for
> each.

Agreed (actually, I said as much in a different e-mail, also noting that
a major advantage to the latter is that you can also safely use blends
of the base and focused color).

>> However I am thinking that "selected" and
>> "focused selected" need to be distinct (i.e. not shared with any other
>> roles).
>
> this sentence is a bit ambiguous; could you provide a bit more detail?

Basically that there is a 'focused selected' background role, and an
independent set of foreground colors for it. Actually IMO it might be
better to do as the other 'focused' colors and define it as compatible
with 'selected'. Mostly I said that because in e.g. Thunderbird (which
has distinct focused/unfocused selected color sets) the pairs for each
are very different. However I think 'unfocused selected' is using a
variation of the Window and/or Workspace* colors.

(* replace with whatever name is decided on)

A great example of focused/unfocused selection... open Konqueror so that
you have two panes (tree and list), and select something in each. Now
step back and ask yourself what will happen if you press 'up'; which
pane will be affected? Right now it is almost impossible to tell. This
is where focused/unfocused selection comes into play, the pane *with*
focus draws the selected item in different colors. Now repeat in
Thunderbird to see how it /should/ work.

--
Matthew
"Will somebody get this walking carpet out of my way?!" -- Princess Leia