Color, Icon and Font Settings in KDE4

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Tue Apr 3 11:57:20 BST 2007

Am Sonntag, 01. April 2007 01:21:18 schrieb Olaf Schmidt:
> 1. The handling of colours, icons and fonts in KDE can be much improved.
> You can find a description of useful changes here:
> http://amen-online.de/%7Eolafschmidt/colors/colors.pdf

Some additional input: I have the need to display the status of checking some
files for integrity in a list view, and I would like to have different
degrees of OK/warning/error colors.  I have traffic light colors
red/yellow/green in mind, ideally with a slightly yellowish green for "nearly
OK" and an orange for "slightly bad"/"fat warning".

In the list you provided, the closest matches would be "5 (e.g. error)" and "6
(e.g. trusted)", both in terms of color and meaning.

I did not read the whole document carefully, but thinking about the above, in
terms of accessibility one should probably not only think about colors, but
*fonts*, where italic/bold or different fonts can be used for
highlighting/differentiating, too.*  OTOH, black/white would be all right in
my case, since the colors are only intended to give additional
hint/multimodality, but the text carries all information.

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS

* Another additional means for showing the status would be icons.