KListView started, and almost ready

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 01:31:11 BST 2007

Hi all,

I want to introduce two new  classes I would like to commit, if no one
disagrees:

- [kdelibs/kdeui/itemviews] KListView: This class inherits QListView, and
its purpose is to draw correctly new categories.
- [kdelibs/kdeui/itemviews] KItemCategorizer: The categorizer interface.
KListView will ask if a categorizer was set, if it was, it will ask for each
item in which category is it (asking for the role that was sorted the model,
that must be a QSortFilterProxyModel). It needs to be reimplemented for
different views.

The patch is at http://www.ereslibre.es/kdelibs.diff

Writing a 5-line-patch to Dolphin I had this results:
http://www.ereslibre.es/categorization.png

Well, as you will have noticed I still have some work to do, like handle
hovered items and drawing categories correctly (making new lines), what will
need the reimplementation of visualRect at KListView.

Before doing such work, I wanted to introduce you this class and know your
thoughts and comments. I think this has been a long-missed feature on our
list views and now we can handle it easily.

Bye and thank you,
Rafael Fernández López.

PS: For handling joining items I will need to hack a bit on KStyle, let's
see how hard that gets... I hope not so much...