Color, Icon and Font Settings in KDE4

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 2 22:37:21 BST 2007

(hmm, for some reason I can't seem to find this thread on -usability)

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Olaf Schmidt wrote:
>> The feature plan contains a usability and accessibility review period that has
>> not yet started.
>>
>> We nevertheless decided to forward some of the already known issues to
>> kde-core-devel earlier to make it easier to fix them before the full API
>> freeze.
>>
>> 1. The handling of colours, icons and fonts in KDE can be much improved.
>> You can find a description of useful changes here:
>> http://amen-online.de/%7Eolafschmidt/colors/colors.pdf

Oh, good, you *did* send this to the list.

>> My impression is that does not need to be an intrusive API change if done
>> well, but I am not a real programmer, so this is up to you to decide how to
>> best tackle.

Unfortunately it probably isn't that easy, especially with the freeze
coming up, but IMO it is also something that really, really *should* be
done.

> Your ideas about color seem to be good.  You are quite correct that hard
> coded colors in apps should be avoided.  I also note that if an app adds
> its own colors then it should be possible to change them in the apps:
>
>   	Settings -> Configure <app_name>
>
> dialog.

...any app doing this really should also be using a custom background
color for any/all such elements. Kate is an example of The Right Way to
do this (bug #143635 notwithstanding). KDevelop's (in branches/3.5) VCS
integration (see the File Tree plugin) is an example of the Wrong Way.
IOW changing color schemes should not require re-changing custom colors.

--
Matthew
Vs lbh pna ernq guvf jvgubhg fbsgjner, lbh ner n FREVBHF areq! --