Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules

Hubert Figuiere hubertf at xandros.com
Sat Sep 30 17:37:11 BST 2006

> Although I like Python and support scriptability of apps, I understand
> Leo's concern, because not everyone wants to put the bloat into his
> system, because developer A wanted to have his app in language A, and
> developer B in language B.

This is exactly what is happening with Gnome. They introduced panel
applets written in Python and using LOT OF RAM. Now they put C#
application, pulling all of Mono as a dependency to build the basic
desktop. Python and Mono bring several dozen of MB by them self. And
this is not without counting increased memory usage.
You have people that spends a great deal of time to spare a few MB or
RAM usage, and then you start introducing component in interpreted or
runtime-managed languages and that RAM saving is long gone by several time.

You really want that to happen with KDE? Once you have done it, it is
hard to go back. KDE has alread the advantage to already use a language
that favor application development better than C: C++, and a good
framework (Qt).

I see no problem in providing official bindings for other language, but
putting stuff no written in C/C++ in the kdelibs/kdebase and other
essential modules just make things less consistent and reduce code
reusability.

Hub