Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Fri Sep 29 15:42:38 BST 2006

Boudewijn Rempt napisaƂ(a):
>> With "usable basic distribution" I think of a KDE installation consisting
>> of kdelibs, kdepimlib, konqueror, kcontrol, kate, kdevelop, kontact, kpdf
>> (whatever it'll be called in KDE4), kview/kuickshow (whatever the common
>> successor will be called), kopete, koffice, and other applications that
>> make a KDE desktop useful.
>
> In any case, while not absolutely depending on it, KOffice makes good use of
> Python and Ruby already.

Although I like Python and support scriptability of apps, I understand
Leo's concern, because not everyone wants to put the bloat into his
system, because developer A wanted to have his app in language A, and
developer B in language B.

It is already visible in Amarok as some scripts are in Ruby, some in
Python and to use Amarok fully you have to have both Ruby and Python
installed.

So, I think the main infrastructure should be in C++ and only
"additional value" in script languages.

	Krzysztof Lichota