A KSelectAction dedicated to QTextCodec selection ?

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 16:17:06 BST 2006

Hi,

Is this the selection action which is used for the "IRC -> Encoding" menu?
If so then yes, it would be useful in other applications.  Kate and
Konsole have similar menus for starters.

I think there is an opportunity for usability and aesthetic
improvements to the menu in the future.  There are usually a lot of
codecs available, so the menu fills up the entire screen.  On my
desktop PC it takes up two full-height menus.
This looks ugly and it takes longer to find the codec you are looking
for as a result.

A better solution I think is something Gnome applications do.  On the
gnome-terminal's "Set Character Encoding" menu, it just shows a list
of 'favourite' encodings, plus an "Add or Remove..." button which
brings up a separate dialog allowing the user to specify which
encodings (from a long list) are shown on the menu.
What Gnome applications don't do is share this setting between
applications.  I presume that if you work with a particular set of
encodings in Kate for example then it is likely that you would want to
work with a similar set in the terminal or Kopete.

Still, as I said, just some ideas for the future.

Regards,
Robert.