QT_NO_STL in KDE4

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Thu Sep 14 11:55:25 BST 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 09:49, Marc Mutz wrote:

> > But anyway, building time is unimportant.
> Last sentence seconded.

Don't you smell irony when half of the people who seconded the change overlap
with the group of people that whine about "kdelibs development is so hard
because it takes so long to compile" ?

> > As a comparison (note that I run this in valgrind to
> > slow it down,

using valgrind to skew your benchmark? ROTFLMAO. Sorry. That was really funny.

> > So much for fast Qt Containers...

There is btw a bug in your benchmark script (see patch).

> I guess we can arrange for you to sign an NDA with some of our clients to
> be able to see the code that can be produced when there are no personal
> quests against using anything with "standard" and "C++" in the same
> sentence, however understandable these are for historical reasons.

Oh, I'm fine with the STL. I'm just not fine for using it without knowing the
drawbacks, and one of your NDA clients probably don't get shit we get when we
use 200kb more memory.

> If that's not possible, boost.org as well as opensource.adobe.com contains
> material that can be called both "real-world" and "using STL properly".

No thanks. I (have to) maintain several boost-dependent packages and I know
why it stinks.

Dirk