QT_NO_STL in KDE4

Marc Mutz mutz at kde.org
Thu Sep 14 08:49:37 BST 2006

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 12:59, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > > Because kde3 did - that's the only reason so far.
> >
> >  So we no longer care that it noticeably increases build times or it
> > doesn't do so anymore?
>
> We care about performance? Huh? Since when?
>
> Just my own small little benchmark:
>
> $ make -j30 kdelibs r583758:
> real    9m2.265s
> user    7m58.346s
> sys     3m48.798s
>
> $ make -j30 kdelibs r583758 -DQT_NO_STL:
> real    6m16.271s
> user    5m53.586s
> sys     2m49.827s
>

> But anyway, building time is unimportant.

Last sentence seconded. Running time is, though. "Just my little benchmark"...

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 21:49, I wrote:
> As a comparison (note that I run this in valgrind to
> slow it down, so the setup and teardown times benefit slot
> implementations): QLinkedList<int>: 11.030
> QList<int>: 3.830
> QVector<int>: 3.060
> std::vector<int>: 2.040
> std::deque<int>: 1.540
> std::list<int>: 10.870
>
> QLinkedList<double>: 11.410
> QList<double>: 12.520
> QVector<double>: 4.790
> std::vector<double>: 2.630
> std::deque<double>: 2.170
> std::list<double>: 10.860
>
> QLinkedList<QString>: 11.220
> QList<QString>: 3.820
> QVector<QString>: 3.300
> std::vector<QString>: 2.190
> std::deque<QString>: 1.630
> std::list<QString>: 11.140
>

> So much for fast Qt Containers...

And about:

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 17:35, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> I've yet to see a single real world application that uses it properly.

I guess we can arrange for you to sign an NDA with some of our clients to be
able to see the code that can be produced when there are no personal quests
against using anything with "standard" and "C++" in the same sentence,
however understandable these are for historical reasons.

If that's not possible, boost.org as well as opensource.adobe.com contains
material that can be called both "real-world" and "using STL properly".

Cheers,
Marc