D-BUS required changes in KDE 4

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Wed Sep 13 22:32:26 BST 2006

Hi Thiago!

Thanks for the information.

> There's no planned solution for cross-user busses.
>
> However, D-Bus has supported for a while direct application-to-application
> connections, which works cross-users and even over networks.

Then we will need to check whether we can avoid busses for AT-SPI.

I have a follow-up question.

A test made a while ago claimed that D-Bus is 18x slower than ORBit2 (and 3
times slower than DCOP):
http://eleceng.dit.ie/frank/rpc/CORBAGnomeDBUSPerformanceAnalysis.pdf
* The main reason described in the analysis is the lack of caching for DCOP
and D-Bus. Would it be possible to add it?
* Is D-Bus using sockets for local communication to improve the speed, such as
ORBit2 does? If not, would it make sense to change that?

If someone is subscribed to some other list where these questions would be
better placed, then please feel free to forward my questions.

Olaf

--
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of