deprecation

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Sat Sep 9 20:12:45 BST 2006

On Saturday 09 September 2006 14:34, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Saturday 09 September 2006 19:11, Will Entriken wrote:
> > Is there a standard way for me to look up how I should fix this
> > problem, whether it is simply using an equivalent function or a
> > complete design change?
>
> The APIDOX are supposed to have some information about that; anyone marking a
> method in kdelibs as deprecated and *not* documenting it in the APIDOX (where
> it remains visible for a long time and also available in the documentation
> people will  be turning to when using the API later) is doing the project a
> great disservice. The PORTING file just doesn't cut it -- it's convenient for
> those people doing the porting in KDE SVN right now, but useless for the
> folks who "just" want an API that they can understand and follow.

And developers, please don't forget about the new @port4 tag.

At the top of your .h file you can do stuff like

/**
  @port4 changed isFooSet() to isFoo().
  @port4 removed fooIsBar() because it was a silly thing to have.
  @port4 fooFoo() no longer requires any arguments
*/

So when the APIDOX are created there will be a "KDE4 Porting Guide" page
with that info.

For example:
http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/apidocs/apidox-kde-4.0/kdepimlibs-apidocs/kcal/html/port4.html#_port4000001

--
KDE: Same Thing We Do Everyday... Try to Conquer the World