RFC: KToolBox

Frans Englich englich at kde.org
Mon Sep 4 14:28:03 BST 2006

On Saturday 02 September 2006 21:05, Matt Broadstone wrote:
> Attached is a replacement for the QToolBox that I have written. It's
> mainly intended to look MUCH better than the old tool box, but it has
> a few differences. Notably, there is no longer a concept of a "current
> page," as we had in QToolBox, also there is no longer a QScrollArea
> for each individual page in the toolbox, but instead one large one for
> the whole box. Lastly, you can choose a title and icon for the
> toolbox. Beyond that (sorry if I've forgotten anything) it tries to
> maintain as much of the api of the original QToolBox as possible so as
> to be somewhat of a drop-in replacement for it (not like ANYONE uses
> the QToolBox in kdelibs and kdebase, hopefully because it was too ugly
>
> :) ). Anyway - hope you all dig it, please let me know what you think
>
> can be improved, and hopefully we can get this in kdeui sooner than
> later.

The problem I see is that what looks "much better" changes as fast as under
pants in the KDE community. Today, it's this KToolBox class, apparently. In a
couple of months, it's probably something different.

Isn't it a bit dangerous to hard code such things in kdelibs?

Isn't it a usability and accessibility concern that font and styles are hard
coded in a class? Why is this not an issue?

My initial reaction is that style like this should be "styled" in a generic
way, instead of being programmed. I prefer fixing this the proper way(that
is, in Qt) at the cost of waiting a bit longer. Fancyness isn't that
important for me.

Or is my worrying not justified?

Cheers,

		Frans