Ctrl+Y shortcut for redo

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Fri Sep 1 10:09:15 BST 2006

On Thursday, 31. August 2006 23:31, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > Reading back, I guess the most obvious solution is missed; both mac and
> > win know about ctrl-shift-z, you say? (which makes a really simple to
> > press triangle here), so all KDE using people can just get used to that
> > on those platforms, right?
>
> we could say this, yes. but if refugees from redmond are used to ctrl+y and
> it's fixable, that's a bit snarky on our part.

I agree mostly with Aaron.  Anyways, it's simply a matter of weighting the
pros and cons.  I agree that another taken shortcut is a bad disadvantage,
but IMO the advantage of giving cross-desktop-consistency to a lot of users
being used to that shortcut outweights it.  (If you keep the shortcut
available for other actions, you would risk someone activating it
unintentionally instead of redo anyways.)

Also, advanced users can still re-configure it, but Windows refugees a more
likely (statistically) to be less skillful/ambitious.

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS