Virtual MimeTypes support patch

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Oct 25 18:20:37 BST 2006

On Wed Oct 25 2006, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Sunday 22 October 2006 12:55, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > A Dissabte 21 Octubre 2006 21:05, Jos van den Oever va escriure:
> > > The solution given here:
> > >  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2005-November/007544.html
> > > is not entirely clear to me.
> > > If I understand correctly, each plugin may add support for additional
> > > mimetypes, so the part of the .desktop file that talks about mimetype
> > > support for an application should be dynamic. How will the proposed
> > > XML format solve this?
> >
> > Ignore that :-D
> >
> > Basically each plugin installs a desktop file that says that extends that
> > virtual mimetype adding some mimetypes. For more in depth explanation on
> > how the .desktop has to look, see my patch, there is a nice description of
> > that.
>
> I suggest to support it by means of a XML snippet in the shared mimetype
> format (may need some extension there if it isn't expresable by any of the
> current Is-Also semantics) Other than that I like the idea and I think it's
> something that is very useful.

I don't understand your idea. The main part of this isn't defining a mimetype,
it's letting *plugins* install a file that say that now this virtual mimetype means
support for this actual mimetype. This is about "I support this mimetype" kind of
information, which is closer to a Type=Application desktop file than it is to a mimetype
definition.